Friday, August 24, 2012

Lampshade Switchout, Peek-a-Boo!


What's shakin' Mama?

Since Big T. is going to be home in 4 days (and a wake-up), I don't want to dig out my drywall saw and make another big, fat mess. He hasn't had the chance to live one day in his new place and I'm going to try to let Mulberry house make a nice impression. Not the kind of impression that will require him to wear eye protection and a dust mask. You smell what I'm steppin' in?

So, I'm making a little, bitty mess. The crafting kind.

As part of this Tiny Corner makeover, I'm changing out a lampshade. The base is groovy enough (I like anything that even kinda looks like a polka dot. Or a stripe. You know how I be, Mums.) but the shade is somewhere between blah and bordello-riffic.

Inspired by Sheila's adorable lamp makover with the peek-a-boo shade over at Plum Doodles, I took off this shade:



Why don't ya come up and see me sometime?
 I bought a muted gold-ish lampshade and some checkered ribbon trim at Big Dubs (Wally-world, Ma. I'm talking about The Big Dubya) and a sweet birdie stencil from Hobby Lobby and I got stenciling:



The checkered ribbon was a straight up black and white and I wanted a tea-stained look. So, I diluted some metallic gold and tan colored craft paint with water to make a wash and I stained 'er up:




There were two styles of birdie stencils in the pack. I tweaked it a little and used both.
Here's the lamp with her new shade and trim, with the light off:


And, with the light on:

peek-a-boo lampshade
Magical!

Here's another angle, since there's a couple of birdies perched on this baby:



peek-a-boo lampshade with tea stained checkered trim

Now I'm sitting on my hands, Mutha Dawling, to keep from stirring up a mess around here.
Maybe you get out here and take me for a Fountain Soda? That'd be just great.

-Amanda

3 comments:

  1. LOVE! That turned out super cute, and the bird is a happy surprise when the light is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, happy surprise. That sounds...euphemistic.
    Thanks for the LOVE and comments, Sista Deah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lamp shade turned out great, Amanda- thanks for the shout-out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Give it to me straight...